Skip to main content

How to make a complaint

...if you are not satisfied with our service

We are committed to providing you with excellent customer service, first time, every time.

Sometimes, however, things can go wrong. We want to know when this happens so that we can sort out any problems as quickly as possible.

Here is all the information you need to use our complaints procedure.

How to contact us

Telephone: please call us free on 0800 0556833 between 9am and 5pm. 

Email: you can email us at

Please tell us your address including postcode with a contact telephone number in your email.

In writing: you can write to Complaints Department, Information Centre, Avonbank, Feeder Road, Bristol BS2 0TB

Please tell us your address including postcode with a contact telephone number in your letter.

In person: you can visit your local National Grid Electricity Distribution office. Please telephone us first so that we can arrange for the relevant person to meet you.

Online: you can fill out our online form to submit your complaint.

Alternative ways to make a complaint

Next Generation Texting (NGT) & Textphone Minicom: Dial 18001 0800 096 3080 and a Text Relay Operator will then join the line. Or use Minicom 0845 601 2318

Webchat: –available 8am to 8pm. Please tell us your address including postcode with method of providing a response.

Alternative formats - Please tell us if you would like a written response in large print or braille, on audio tape, in Welsh or in another language.

Step 1 – Review by your Local Manager

When you contact us we will acknowledge receipt of your complaint and arrange for a manager responsible for the electricity network in your area to call you the same day if you have given us your telephone number.

The manager will do their best to resolve the problem with you when they call.

If we do not have a telephone number for you, we will write to you or email you back within three working days of receiving your letter or email.

Please note that if you contact us by telephone or email after 4pm weekdays or on a weekend or a Bank Holiday, the manager will contact you the next working day.

Step 2 – Referral to a Senior Manager

If you are not happy with the way that the local manager has dealt with your complaint, you can ask to speak to a senior manager responsible for your region. A senior manager will contact you within three working days – by telephone or personal visit. They will investigate your complaint and work with you to resolve the problem.

Step 3 – Final Review by Complaints Manager

If after discussing your complaint with a senior manager responsible for your region, you are not fully satisfied by their actions, you can ask for your complaint to be formally reviewed by NGED's Regulatory Compliance Manager. They will endeavour to send you a Deadlock Letter setting out our final position within 1 week.

We aim to resolve your complaint within 8 weeks with an apology and an explanation of what went wrong.  Where appropriate we will take remedial action and we may pay you some compensation.

If we are unable to resolve your complaint within 8 weeks, and you are not satisfied with the steps that we are taking to put the matter right, you can also ask us for a Deadlock Letter.

Step 4 – Energy ombudsman

We will do all we can to solve your problem by working with you. However if you are still unhappy with our actions and we have sent you a Deadlock Letter, you have the right to refer the matter to the Energy Ombudsman. You must contact the Ombudsman within 12 months of receiving a Deadlock Letter. This is a free and independent dispute resolution service for domestic and small business customers. The Energy Ombudsman will ask you for a full account of your dealings with us and they will also contact us to gain a factual understanding of the case from our perspective. The Ombudsman will make a final decision and inform you of the outcome.

Energy Ombudsman 
PO Box 966

Telephone: 0330 440 1624
Textphone: 0330 440 1600

In most cases the Energy Ombudsman will be able to help customers to resolve disputes. There are a small number of areas, where we follow the appropriate legal process rather than using an alternative dispute resolution in dealing with contractual or legal matters such as insurance claims, third party damage and wayleave disputes.

Other sources of advice and information

Contact Citizens Advice if you need help with an energy problem. They can provide independent energy advice and support. Go to or call their consumer service on 0808 223 1133 Monday-Friday 9am-5pm (for Welsh speaking service call 0808 223 1144).